Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Hey Book Dealers: Why Restrict Your Customer Base?

From time to time I've encountered an unusual phenomenon and it has me puzzled: A US-based dealer selling used books that refuses to ship outside of the US.

Why? I really wonder; USPS offers shipping rates that this ol' Canadian Bear is frankly envious of. I've found that it costs more to ship a typical paperback TO MYSELF than it does to send it to Miami FL. It costs even less to ship a book from Miami to my home here in Winnipeg. And now USPS advertises these nifty flat rate boxes (if it fits, it ships) with no indication of a similar system north of the border. (Aside from the very narrow restrictions on eBay's Flat Rate Box deal w/ Canada Post, and those aren't available anymore). Thanks a whole helluva lot, Canada Post!

This is also quite frustrating to me as a collector; finding that book I've been searching for forever and I can't get it for my personal library because the dealer won't ship outside the US. for example, they'll ship across Canada to Alaska or across the ocean to Hawaii, but why not into Canada?

Refusing to ship outside of the US just denies yourself a customer base that is literally right next door. If your customer is willing to pay the S&H because the total cost is still less than getting the product new and they can't find it in used shops locally, why not sell it & ship it to them? Customs really does not care about a used book or CD. And it is NOT forms-heavy! Especially when processing a shipping label thru PayPal; the customs bumf is done right then and there; it's SO easy compared to doing it at the postal outlet at the counter with grumblers waiting in line behind you!

So I wonder when I see some of these dealers who complain that they aren't getting any sales and 'how do I increase traffic and sales'. My answer? Ship any - darned - where the customer is. They might come back for more, and maybe like the old commercial "They'll tell two friends, and THEY'LL tell two friends..."

Case in point: in 2009 I had a sale to a customer in Germany and he told a friend in France. Who also bought from me. Also in 2009: A customer in England bought some hard-to-get Analog magazines from me and he bragged to a buddy who was also a collector. Said buddy turned to me and bought an even larger batch.

Me? I will ship to anywhere there is postal service. Worldwide. I get a kick out of keeping a map on Facebook showing where I've shipped to worldwide.

My only restriction? Residents of Atlantis must arrange a dry-land drop-off address - sealing a rainproof package with packing tape only goes so far...

Hey, thanks for visiting the Bear's Den, be welcome anytime...

John "The Bear" Speelman, Book Collector/Hobbyist
Jack of All Trades, Master of...well, a few...

Quantumvis cursum longum fessumque moratur sol, Sacro tandem carmine vesper adest.
No matter how the sun may linger on its long and weary journey,
at length evening comes, with its sacred song

 
Listings: http://johnthebear.blujay.com and http://turnedpages.ecrater.com

2 comments:

  1. Looking for the source of the Latin quotation Quantumvis cursum longum fessumque etc... where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete